Two charged after alleged assault at Orioles game sends man to intensive care

52 Comments

Disturbing story out of Baltimore.

According to Yvonne Wegner and Justin Fenton of the Baltimore Sun, two men have been charged after an alleged assault at Camden Yards during Wednesday’s Nationals/Orioles game sent one man to intensive care with severe head trauma and a skull fracture.

The alleged attack occurred after 25-year-old Matt Fortese was being taunted by two fans for wearing his Yankees hat to the game. It eventually led to a confrontation.

By the fifth or sixth inning of the matchup with the Washington Nationals, the couple had endured about an hour of heckling, mostly about Fortese’s hat, from two men sitting a section above them, said Queen, 21. Then one of the men threw a beer that hit the couple, according to police, and when Fortese approached the men and began arguing with them, one punched him in the head.

The blow sent Fortese over a railing and onto the concrete about five feet below.

Two men — Gregory Fleischman, 22, of Jarrettsville, and Michael Bell, 21, of Annapolis — were charged in the attack.

Police said Fleischman punched Fortese.

All of this over a hat. As fate would have it, Fortese was revived by Nathan Steelman, a childhood friend who just so happened to be attending the same game. He’s currently listed in serious condition at Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Fortese’s father said that he has been in and out of consciousness and will likely need long-term physical therapy.

Fleischman was charged with first- and second-degree assault and disorderly conduct while Bell was charged with second-degree assault and disorderly conduct. Both were released on $50,000 bond yesterday.

MRI reveals rib inflammation for Anthony Rizzo

Anthony Rizzo rib inflammation
Jeff Speer/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
1 Comment

Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo underwent an MRI on Tuesday that revealed rib inflammation on his left side, Maddie Lee of NBC Sports Chicago reports. Rizzo has been dealing with back soreness for the last week and has missed several intrasquad games as a result.

Rizzo is unsure if he can avoid opening the regular season on the injured list. He said, “I’ll do everything I can to stay off of it, obviously. … Every game’s important. So, we’ve got to get off to a good start and hopefully I’m out there with the guys. I plan on it, but you can’t control it and you’ve got to be smart.”

Rizzo, who turns 31 years old next month, is coming off of another highly productive season in which he hit .293/.405/.520 with 27 home runs, 94 RBI, and 89 runs scored over 613 plate appearances. In the event he needs to open the season on the IL, Victor Caratini figures to get the first crack at handling first base.

The Cubs missed the playoffs last year for the first time since 2014, finishing in third place with a 84-78 record. Rizzo, no doubt, will play a big role if the Cubs are to find themselves back in the postseason.