Mets win four in a row over Yankees, sweep season series for first time ever

63 Comments

The struggling Mets likely would have signed up for an even split this week against the crosstown Yankees, but they ended up taking all four games.

Dillon Gee struck out a career-high 12 over 7 1/3 innings of one-run ball tonight in a 3-1 victory over the Yankees. After taking both games at Citi Field on Monday and Tuesday, they also swept the two-game set at Yankee Stadium. While the format changed this year, this is the first time in the 17-year history of interleague play that the Mets have recorded a season sweep of the Yankees.

Gee was the big story of the night. Amid rumors that he could be bullpen-bound when top prospect Zack Wheeler is called up from the minors, he delivered his best start of the season, giving up just four hits and no walks. His only mistake was a solo homer by Robinson Cano in the third inning. He retired the final 15 batters he faced before manager Terry Collins brought the hook in the bottom of the eighth inning. Gee had struck out five batters in a row at that point and was only at 88 pitches, so many questioned the decision, but Scott Rice entered to retire the only two batters he faced and Bobby Parnell had a perfect ninth to lock down his ninth save of the season.

As for the offense, Marlon Byrd put the Mets ahead early with a two-run homer off Vidal Nuno in the top of the second inning. He has now homered in back-to-back games. John Buck later added an insurance run with a well-placed infield single along the third base line in the eighth inning. The Mets outscored the Yankees 16-7 over the course of the four games this week.

The Mets will take a season-high five-game winning streak into Miami this weekend while the Yankees will bring a season-high five game losing streak into a series against the first-place Red Sox. What the Yankees have done over the first two months of the season has been pretty impressive given the number of injuries they have had to put up with, but they are getting Mark Teixeira and Kevin Youkilis back at exactly the right time.

Indians send down Clevinger, Plesac after virus blunder

Bruce Kluckhohn-USA TODAY Sports
Leave a comment

CLEVELAND — After hearing Mike Clevinger and Zach Plesac explain their actions, the Cleveland Indians sent the pitchers to their alternate training site on Friday after the two broke team rules and Major League Baseball coronavirus protocol last weekend in Chicago.

Clevinger and Plesac drove to Detroit separately with their baseball equipment on Thursday for an “open forum” meeting at the team’s hotel before the Indians opened a series with the Tigers.

Indians President of Baseball Operations Chris Antonetti said following “the discussion” that he met with manager Terry Francona, general manager Mike Chernoff and decided it was best to option Plesac and Clevinger to the alternate training site instead of allowing them to rejoin the team.

“We had a chance to meet as small group and decided this would be the best path of action for us,” Antonetti said.

So before the opener, the Indians activated Clevinger and Plesac from the restricted list and optioned them to Lake County.

It’s a stunning slide for the right-handers and close friends, both considered important pieces for the Indians. There’s no indication when they may be back on Cleveland’s roster. They’ll have to be at Lake County for at least 10 days.

Last weekend, the pitchers broke the team’s code of conduct implemented during the pandemic by leaving the team hotel and having dinner and socializing with friends of Plesac’s and risking contracting the virus.

While the Indians got a car service to take Plesac back to Cleveland, Clevinger flew home with the team after not telling the Indians he had been out with his teammate.

Although both players have twice tested negative for COVID-19 this week, the Indians aren’t ready to have them back.

Earlier this week, pitcher Adam Plutko said he felt betrayed.

“They hurt us bad,” Plutko said after Cleveland’s lost 7-1 to the Chicago Cubs on Tuesday. “They lied to us. They sat here in front of you guys and publicly said things that they didn’t follow through on.”

Antonetti was asked if there are still hard feeling in the clubhouse toward the pair.

“We’re all a family,” Antonetti said. “We spend a lot of time together. Sometimes there are challenges in families you have to work through. I’d use that analogy as it applies here. There are things that have happened over the course of the last week that have been less than ideal and people have some thoughts and feelings about that.”

Both Clevinger and Plesac issued apologies in the days after their missteps. However, on Thursday, the 25-year-old Plesac posted a six-minute video on Instagram in which he acknowledged breaking team curfew but then aimed blame at the media, saying he and Clevinger were being inaccurately portrayed as “bad people.”

Antonetti said he watched the video.

“I’m not sure Zach was able to convey what he intended to convey in the video after having a chance to speak with him afterwards,” he said. “I think if he had a do-over, he may have said things a bit differently.”

Francona also felt Plesac could have chosen a better way to handle the aftermath.

“I was disappointed,” he said.