Jose Altuve collides with Jimmy Paredes, suffers subluxed right jaw

15 Comments

UPDATE: According to Brian T. Smith of the Houston Chronicle, Altuve told Astros manager Bo Porter than he thinks he can play Tuesday. Perhaps they’ll rest him just to be on the safe side, but it doesn’t sound like he’ll require a lengthy absence.

9:00 PM: Scary moment for the Astros tonight, as second baseman Jose Altuve suffered a subluxed right jaw following a collision with right fielder Jimmy Paredes in the second inning against the Tigers. By the way, subluxed is the technical term for partial dislocation.

The collision occurred when Altuve ran into shallow right field to track down a fly ball off the bat of Jhonny Peralta. The diminutive second baseman tracked the ball all the way before running right into the 6-foot-3, 200-pound Paredes and falling to the ground in pain. The severity of the injury isn’t yet known, but he could be seen grabbing at the right side of his face when he got to his feet and walked off the field.

Altuve has easily been the Astros’ best player so far this season, so losing him for any length of time would be a tough blow. The 23-year-old is batting .333/.371/.444 with two home runs, 18 RBI, four stolen bases and an .816 OPS through 38 games.

Report: Brodie Van Wagenen issuing managerial orders from home

Elsa/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen has been issuing managerial orders from home. Citing an anonymous industry source, Van Wagenen made the call to remove Jacob deGrom from his June 1 start against the Diamondbacks in the seventh inning due to a hip cramp. deGrom was visibly frustrated with his removal.

According to Puma’s source, Van Wagenen was watching the game on TV at home. He communicated with a member of the team support staff that deGrom should be removed from the game. Word got to Callaway, who went to the mound and took out his starter. Furthermore, some in the Mets’ clubhouse were miffed that Van Wagenen didn’t take credit for the decision because it looked like deGrom and Callaway were at odds with each other.

Puma also notes that the decision to limit closer Edwin Díaz’s innings is also Van Wagenen’s. Díaz was not used in Sunday’s loss against the Cubs. Javier Báez ended up hitting a go-ahead three-run home run off of Seth Lugo. Callaway was questioned for choice not to use Díaz after the game, which resulted in a brouhaha in the clubhouse.

A veteran executive of another team said that a GM issuing managerial directives would be “unusual” and “crossing the line.” He added, “I have never seen that done, personally.”

Van Wagenen insisted, “Mickey has control of baseball decisions.”

In a season marked by dysfunction, things may be even more dysfunctional within the Mets organization than we knew.