No timetable for Johnny Cueto to resume throwing

9 Comments

After Johnny Cueto was placed on the disabled list earlier this week with a lat strain, Reds manager Dusty Baker estimated that the right-hander would only have to miss around 3-4 starts. That could be overly optimistic.

Reds head athletic trainer Paul Lessard told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer today that there is not a set timetable for Cueto to resume throwing.

“We want to make sure he’s pain free, has a good range of motion and base of strength,” trainer Paul Lessard said. “He’s feeling good. It could be a couple of days. It could be a couple more.”

Cueto is eligible to return from the disabled list on April 29, but he’ll have to make quick progress to be ready by then. Lat injuries can be tricky, so the Reds will have a better idea on a timetable once they see how he responds to throwing.

Tony Cingrani was called up from Triple-A Louisville to fill Cueto’s spot in the rotation. The 23-year-old left-hander allowed one run over five innings against the Marlins tonight in his first major league start.

Report: Welington Castillo to be suspended 80 games for violating Joint Drug Agreement

David Banks/Getty Images
2 Comments

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic confirms a report from journalist Américo Celado that White Sox catcher Welington Castillo will be suspended 80 games for violating baseball’s Joint Drug Agreement. Castillo was believed to have used a steroid, but according to Rosenthal, the substance was not a steroid. More details should come on Thursday.

Castillo, 31, entered Wednesday’s action batting .270/.314/.477 with six home runs and 15 RBI in 118 plate appearances. He has gotten the bulk of the work behind the plate, backed up by Omar Narváez.

Castillo’s absence will likely prompt the White Sox to call up Kevan Smith from Triple-A Charlotte. Smith battled an ankle injury in March and April, so he got a late start to the season. In 102 PA at Triple-A, he has hit .283/.343/.457.