No timetable for Johnny Cueto to resume throwing

9 Comments

After Johnny Cueto was placed on the disabled list earlier this week with a lat strain, Reds manager Dusty Baker estimated that the right-hander would only have to miss around 3-4 starts. That could be overly optimistic.

Reds head athletic trainer Paul Lessard told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer today that there is not a set timetable for Cueto to resume throwing.

“We want to make sure he’s pain free, has a good range of motion and base of strength,” trainer Paul Lessard said. “He’s feeling good. It could be a couple of days. It could be a couple more.”

Cueto is eligible to return from the disabled list on April 29, but he’ll have to make quick progress to be ready by then. Lat injuries can be tricky, so the Reds will have a better idea on a timetable once they see how he responds to throwing.

Tony Cingrani was called up from Triple-A Louisville to fill Cueto’s spot in the rotation. The 23-year-old left-hander allowed one run over five innings against the Marlins tonight in his first major league start.