Nolan Ryan will remain the Rangers’ CEO

12 Comments

There has been speculation over the past several weeks that Nolan Ryan might leave his executive post with the Rangers. Ryan felt like his role was being diminished and that he no longer had much say in club decisions. But all is suddenly well.

Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports that Ryan agreed Wednesday to “stay with the club for the foreseeable future.” He will retain the title of CEO and general manager Jon Daniels will serve as the Rangers’ president of baseball operations. Rick George will be president of business operations.

Recent reports suggested that Ryan was fully prepared to leave, but that could have been a negotiating tactic. The 66-year-old Hall of Famer has been a member of the Texas front office since 2008.

Here’s the official press release from principal owners Ray Davis and Bob Simpson:

“We’ve had meaningful conversations with Nolan Ryan over the past several weeks and are pleased that our focus is now on working together to win a championship for our fans. Over the years Nolan has made extraordinary contributions to the Texas Rangers organization, both on and off the field, including providing valuable guidance to Jon Daniels and Rick George. His leadership as our chief executive — with both baseball and business operations reporting to him — has been vital to our success and offers us a bright future.”

And a short written statement from Ryan, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

“After productive discussions the last several weeks with Ray Davis and Bob Simpson about the structure of our organization, together we are moving forward. In my role as CEO, I am focused on working closely with ownership and with Jon Daniels and Rick George to build on the success of the past five years and to bring a championship to Arlington.”

The Rangers lost 2-0 to the Rays on Wednesday afternoon and are 6-3 on the young season.

Tyler Glasnow scheduled to rejoin Rays’ rotation

Jonathan Dyer-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Tampa Bay Rays right-hander Tyler Glasnow is scheduled to rejoin the rotation at Cleveland after missing nearly 14 months because of Tommy John surgery.

The Rays’ Opening Day starter last year hasn’t pitched this season after undergoing the procedure on Aug. 4, 2021.

“I think we’re pretty confident he’ll be starting for us,” Tampa Bay manager Kevin Cash said before the game with Toronto. “This is the first time he’s thrown pain-free in quite some time, so he’s encouraged by it.”

The 6-foot-8 right-hander went 5-2 with a 2.66 ERA in 14 starts last year and is a key addition as the Rays near a wild-card spot.

“Compared to the past, like, three years it feels way better as far as postday and the week leading into starts and stuff,” Glasnow said. “It’s good to have an UCL, you know.”

Cash said Glasnow will throw around 45 pitches in his initial outing, which should allow him to go two or three innings.

“Two innings of Glasnow is still a huge plus for our team,” Cash said. “Like to get three innings. If we do, great. If we don’t, that’s fine, too.”

Glasnow allowed one run, one hit, four walks and had 14 strikeouts over seven innings in four starts with Triple-A Durham.

“I’m really excited,” Glasnow said. “I’m approaching it like normal, staying on routine. Feels normal.”

Glasnow signed a two-year, $30.35 million contract that will delay the start of his free agency by one year last month. He’s making $5.1 million this year and will get $5.35 million next season and $25 million in 2024, which is the first year he would have been eligible for free agency.