Below you’ll find the starting lineups for Sunday night’s season-opening game between the Rangers and Astros at Houston’s Minute Maid Park. First pitch is scheduled for 8:05 p.m. ET. It’s on ESPN.
TEXAS RANGERS HOUSTON ASTROS
1. Ian Kinsler, 2B 1. Jose Altuve, 2B
2. Elvis Andrus, SS 2. Brett Wallace, 1B
3. Lance Berkman, DH 3. Chris Carter, LF
4. Adrian Beltre, 3B 4. Carlos Pena, DH
5. David Murphy, LF 5. Justin Maxwell, CF
6. Nelson Cruz, RF 6. Jason Castro, C
7. A.J. Pierzynski, C 7. Matt Dominguez, 3B
8. Mitch Moreland, 1B 8. Brandon Barnes, RF
9. Leonys Martin, CF 9. Ronny Cedeno, SS
SP Matt Harrison, LH SP Bud Norris, RH
If you’re checking out the game and want to chat, consider this an open thread. BASEBALL IS BACK.
Nationals ace Max Scherzer struck out his 300th batter of the season on Tuesday night against the Marlins. Austin Dean was the victim, swinging and missing at a 3-2 curve for the second out in the seventh inning.
Scherzer’s 2018 is the seventh 300-strikeout season since 2000. The others: Chris Sale (308; 2017 Red Sox), Clayton Kershaw (301; 2015 Dodgers), Randy Johnson (334; 2002 Diamondbacks), Curt Schilling (316; 2002 Diamondbacks), Randy Johnson (372; 2001 Diamondbacks), Randy Johnson (347; 2000 Diamondbacks). It’s the 67th 300-strikeout season dating back to 1883.
At the conclusion of the seventh, Scherzer had held the Marlins to a run on four hits with no walks and 10 strikeouts. He entered the start 17-7 with a 2.57 ERA across 213 2/3 innings. Jacob deGrom will almost certainly win the NL Cy Young Award, but Scherzer’s 2018 has been outstanding.