Below you’ll find the starting lineups for Sunday night’s season-opening game between the Rangers and Astros at Houston’s Minute Maid Park. First pitch is scheduled for 8:05 p.m. ET. It’s on ESPN.
TEXAS RANGERS HOUSTON ASTROS
1. Ian Kinsler, 2B 1. Jose Altuve, 2B
2. Elvis Andrus, SS 2. Brett Wallace, 1B
3. Lance Berkman, DH 3. Chris Carter, LF
4. Adrian Beltre, 3B 4. Carlos Pena, DH
5. David Murphy, LF 5. Justin Maxwell, CF
6. Nelson Cruz, RF 6. Jason Castro, C
7. A.J. Pierzynski, C 7. Matt Dominguez, 3B
8. Mitch Moreland, 1B 8. Brandon Barnes, RF
9. Leonys Martin, CF 9. Ronny Cedeno, SS
SP Matt Harrison, LH SP Bud Norris, RH
If you’re checking out the game and want to chat, consider this an open thread. BASEBALL IS BACK.
ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports that the Rockies and shortstop Trevor Story have come to terms on a two-year, $27.5 million deal, buying out his two remaining years of arbitration eligibility.
Story, 27, and the Rockies did not agree on a salary before the deadline earlier this month. Story filed for $11.5 million while the team countered at $10.75 million. The average annual value of this deal — $13.75 million — puts him a little bit ahead this year and likely a little bit behind next year.
This past season in Colorado, Story hit .294/.363/.554 with 35 home runs, 85 RBI, 111 runs scored, and 23 stolen bases over 656 trips to the plate. He also continued to rank among the game’s best defensive shortstops. Per FanGraphs, Story’s 10.9 Wins Above Replacement over the last two seasons is fifth-best among shortstops (min. 1,000 PA) behind Alex Bregman, Francisco Lindor, Xander Bogaerts, and Marcus Semien.
With third baseman Nolan Arenado likely on his way out via trade, one wonders if the same fate awaits Story at some point over the next two seasons.