The Orioles play the White Sox on Thursday, September 5. It’s a night game. It has to be a night game because both the Orioles and the White Sox are coming in to Baltimore off the road following night games and thus won’t even be getting into town until the wee hours of Thursday morning.
Problem: September 5 is supposed to be the Ravens’ opener, and for the past decade the defending Super Bowl champs have opened the season on that Thursday night. Because they play right next door to each other and share a parking lot the games cannot be played at the same time. Here’s NFL commissioner Roger Goodell’s take on it:
“We are trying to work out an accommodation to allow the Orioles’ game to happen earlier in the afternoon and the Ravens to celebrate their Super Bowl championship with their fans at home on Thursday night. We think that is the right thing. We have agreed to move the game a little bit later in the evening to try to accommodate the baseball game.”
I’m sure he does think that’s the right thing as it benefits the NFL. But it’s not as if the Orioles can unilaterally change the schedule. The White Sox have a say. As does the players’ union, who will not cotton to a day game after a night game when both teams are travelling. And that is the White Sox’ only trip to Baltimore all season.
My guess is that money will be thrown at the Orioles and they’ll agree to a doubleheader that Saturday or something. But it seems that the much fairer solution would be for the NFL to make its schedule in such a way that doesn’t conflict with a baseball schedule that has been set for months.
The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.
However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”
Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.
Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.
Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.
No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.