Great Moments in Customer Service: The Marlins threaten to sue longtime season ticket holders

56 Comments

The Miami New Times reports the latest in Jeff Loria’s apparent plot to alienate every single person on the planet: suing the team’s fans when they have the audacity to complain about something.

The upshot: Bill and Jan Leon have been Marlins season ticket holders since 1998. Last year they moved with the team to the new park and entered into a two-year agreement for tickets, covering 2012 and 2013. They say their season ticket agreement allows them to move their seats if they didn’t like the location after the first year in the new ballpark. They didn’t like it because, after they checked out their seats and entered into the agreement, the Marlins put up a billboard and padding that obscured their view.  So the Leons said they didn’t want those seats anymore. They wanted to be moved further down the third base line.

They got no response from the team and their request to be moved went unanswered, they say. So they gave an ultimatum: move them to a different pair of seats or they wouldn’t pay for the second season.  Then they got a letter dated March 8 which demanded that they pay for the seats or else the team would sue them. There’s a scanned copy of the letter in the linked article.

The Marlins at this point have, what, a few hundred season ticket holders? And how many with the tenure of the Leons? Tell me: does anyone in the Marlins place NOT try to accommodate these people? Does anyone in their right mind threaten them with a lawsuit?  Even if the Leons are blowing smoke and this is really some ploy to get out from under their season ticket agreement, is this the best way to handle it? Or does one in the Marlins’ place instead call their bluff, see if they’re still unwilling to pay and then proceed to collection via less obnoxious means?

What in the hell is wrong with that team?

(link via CBS Sports.com)

Something big could be brewing between the Yankees, Mets and Marlins

Getty Images
4 Comments

Last night we heard the beginning of rumblings of a possible three-team trade involving the Yankees, Mets and Marlins that could involve J.T. Realmuto and Noah Syndergaard. Those rumblings — while still off in the distance — are getting a bit louder this morning, with reports floating that the Marlins are driving it and that it’s not just wishcasting from New York.

Into that mix comes something interesting: Ken Rosenthal reports that the Yankees are open to moving third baseman Miguel Andujar and that he’s “a name to watch.”

Coming as it does after that Yankees-Mets-Marlins chatter might mean that Andujar could be involved in all of that and, if he is, that could make for a monster deal.  Such a blockbuster would certainly be a good enough reason to part with Andujar despite a strong rookie season in which he hit.297/.328/.527 with 27 homers and 92 RBI. Worth noting that moving him could also open up third base for a big acquisition like Manny Machado, but that’s separate speculation, I suppose.

Not that any of this would be that easy, of course, especially if it involved the Mets. The Mets and Yankees rarely make trades with one another, and if they were to do one, it’d have to be something that the Mets could claim, convincingly, that they won lest they get raked over the tabloid coals. That being said, the Marlins reportedly want an established major leaguer in any deal for Realmuto and the Mets reportedly want more than just Realmuto if they were to give up Syndergaard. As such, Andujar could fit into that in any number of ways.

There’s obviously there’s a long way to go on this sort of thing, but the names floating around talks with the Yankees, Mets and Marlins are quite interesting and could suggest something big is brewing.