Stephen Drew may open the season on 15-day disabled list

15 Comments

Red Sox shortstop Stephen Drew was diagnosed with a concussion 10 days ago after getting beaned in the batting helmet by a pitch. And the 30-year-old has not made a whole lot of tangible progress since.

Scott Lauber — Red Sox beat writer for the Boston Herald — reports that Drew “has been cleared only to lightly play catch, not to take batting practice or ramp up his physical activity.” Which prompted Red Sox manager John Farrell to acknowledge Sunday morning in Fort Myers, Florida that “the window is narrowing” on Drew’s chances of opening the regular season as a member of the active 25-man roster.

Drew has been in contact with Dr. Michael Collins, a concussion specialist at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. But no amount of advice or treatment can help curb the symptoms. It’s all about rest.

“This is one of those things that time has got to be given for those symptoms to subside,” Farrell said.

The Red Sox will probably feature Jose Iglesias as their starting shortstop until Drew is ready.

Report: Hanley Ramirez “eyed” in federal and state investigation

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Former Red Sox first baseman Hanley Ramirez is reportedly being “eyed” in an ongoing federal and state investigation, per Michele McPhee of ABC News. McPhee did not elaborate on the exact nature of the investigation itself, but provided a few more details during an interview with 98.5 The Sports Hub on Friday:

“Obviously, I know absolutely nothing about sports or Hanley Ramirez’s stats, but what I do know is crime,” McPhee said. “And there has been some reports about a FaceTime phone call that was made between a man during a car stop. After that car stop, police recovered a significant amount of drugs. And during that car stop, the suspect claimed that one of the items found in the vehicle belonged to Hanley Ramirez and then FaceTimed [Ramirez] in front of police. And that car stop coordinated with the timing of his release from the Red Sox.”

McPhee further clarified that she thinks the suspect — who was reportedly transporting 435 grams of fentanyl and a “large amount” of crack cocaine — was tied to “a sweeping federal case involving a substantial ring that’s being operated out of Lawrence, Massachusetts.”

Ramirez, the Red Sox, and Major League Baseball have all denied knowledge of any current investigation. According to the Boston Globe’s Alex Speier, Red Sox VP of media relations Kevin Gregg insisted that Ramirez had been dropped from the team for baseball reasons alone and had not been made aware of an investigation at the time of his release.

“Hanley has no knowledge of any of the allegations contained in this media report and he is not aware of any investigation,” the infielder’s agent, Adam Katz, added Friday.

The 34-year-old Ramirez was designated for assignment on May 25 and became a free agent on June 1. Prior to his release, he batted .254/.313/.395 over 195 plate appearances, 302 shy of the 497-PA threshold he would have needed to cross in order to activate his vesting option for 2019. He’s still owed the remainder of his $22 million salary for 2018.