Brewers still considering free agent righty Kyle Lohse?

12 Comments

Here’s Tom Haudricourt, beat writer for the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

You understand the reservations the Brewers have about Lohse. He is 34 and wants at least a three-year deal, and the Brewers were burned in the past by committing to Jeff Suppan and Randy Wolf with multiyear deals in their 30s.

But [Brewers owner Mark Attanasio] likes to win, and his club returns the highest-scoring offense in the NL from a year ago. [Scott] Boras has told him that it would be a shame to waste such an attack with a substandard starting rotation.

So, all things considered, I’ll believe the Brewers aren’t going to sign Lohse when he signs with another club.

The Brewers would also have to forfeit the 17th overall pick in this year’s draft, which might be the biggest deterrent. But Haudricourt says that Boras has spoken to Attanasio “more than once” this winter about the free agent right-hander, who had a 2.86 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 211 innings with the Cardinals in 2012.

Opening Day is exactly two weeks away and Lohse remains without a team. It’s pretty incredible.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
1 Comment

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.