Brewers GM Doug Melvin got stung by a scorpion, spent three hours in a hospital

24 Comments

This is a very dangerous week to be a general manager.

Brian Cashman broke his leg and ankle sky-diving Monday and last night Brewers GM Doug Melvin was stung by a scorpion and spent three hours in the hospital.

Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has the details:

Melvin just told me he reached down to pick up what he thought was a harmless bug with a Kleenex but it turned out to be an Arizona bark scorpion. Melvin was stung on the middle finger of his left hand and when he started experiencing numbness going up his arm, he Googled scorpion stings and decided he better go to a hospital.

“I spent three hours in an emergency room in Scottsdale,” Melvin said Thursday morning at the Brewers’ Maryvale complex. “My arm is still totally numb.”

Melvin is back at work today, saying: “I don’t think it’s that big a deal.”

Also, at what point will “Googling your symptoms” just become a symptom of something?