The Dodgers and Clayton Kershaw have “mutual interest” in a contract extension

5 Comments

As soon as word surfaced this afternoon that the Mariners and Felix Hernandez were on the verge of a record $175 million extension, many speculated that Dodgers left-hander Clayton Kershaw could eventually push the $200 million mark. We’ll have to wait to find out, but Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times this evening that there is “mutual interest” in getting something done.

“This is not going to be a daily discussion point for us publicly,” Colletti said. “But there is a mutual interest.”

Colletti wouldn’t confirm whether the two sides have begun negotiations, but he said earlier this winter that he could look into the matter after addressing the team’s needs in free agency. Kershaw, who turns 25 in March, is under contract for $11 million in 2013 and will be eligible for free agency following the 2014 season.

Justin Verlander and David Price also figure to do very well with their next contracts, but given Kershaw’s age and the Dodgers’ free-spending ways, he might be best-positioned to be the game’s first $200 million hurler.

 

Red Sox to activate Dustin Pedroia from disabled list on Friday

Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
1 Comment

Manager Alex Cora said that second baseman Dustin Pedroia will be activated from the disabled list on Friday, Pete Abraham of The Boston Globe reports.

Pedroia, 34, had cartilage restoration surgery on his left knee in late October. He played in only 105 games last season, batting .293/.369/.392 with seven home runs and 62 RBI in 463 plate appearances. His offensive stats were his worst since an abnormally-bad 2014 campaign.

The 34-15 Red Sox have baseball’s best record. Eduardo Nunez has mostly been handling second base in Pedroia’s place, hitting a disappointing .243/.261/.361 in 177 trips to the plate. He has also, by most metrics, played subpar defense at the position, so getting Pedroia back will be a boon.