Fernando Rodney confident he’ll get contract extension from Rays

1 Comment

Fernando Rodney was quoted in Dominican newspaper El Dia earlier this week that he was closing in on a two-year extension with the Rays, but that report was quickly disputed by the club while Rodney’s agent, Dan Lozano, later said that his client was misquoted. However, Rodney told MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez yesterday that he’s in talks with the Rays and is confident that he’ll eventually get an extension done.

“It’s in plans already,” Rodney said in Spanish on Friday, a few minutes before taking the field against Venezuela’s Navegantes de Magallanes at Sonora Stadium. “We’ve talked a few times, and I expect it to get finalized this month.”

“We’re still in the planning stages, still negotiating,” Rodney said. “You know, these negotiations take time because you have to weigh all your options.”

Asked if he was confident a deal would get finalized, Rodney said: “Of course.”

Rodney is already under contract for 2013, as the Rays exercised his $2.5 million option earlier this offseason. The 35-year-old right-hander is currently set to become a free agent this winter.

Rodney is obviously trying to strike while the iron is hot, as he is coming off an unexpectedly brilliant season in which he posted a 0.60 ERA, 48 saves and 76/15 K/BB ratio over 74 2/3 innings. His ERA was the lowest-ever for a pitcher with at least 50 innings pitched in a season. The previous record was held by Dennis Eckersley, who had an 0.61 ERA with the A’s in 1990.

Video: J.D. Martinez hits league-tying 23rd home run

Seattle Mariners v Boston Red Sox
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Red Sox and Mariners left nothing on the table Friday night, going head-to-head in a series opener that eventually ended 14-10 in the Sox’ favor. Led by Steven Wright and Wade LeBlanc — neither of whom made it past the fifth inning — the teams combined for 34 hits and four home runs, including two moonshots from Seattle’s Nelson Cruz and a five-run rally that gave Boston the edge in the seventh.

In the sixth inning, however, the Red Sox were still scrambling to make up a four-run deficit. Left fielder J.D. Martinez cut it in half with one swing, pouncing on an 89.5-mph fastball from Seattle right-hander Nick Vincent and posting it to dead center field for a two-run shot.

The 427-foot blast was Martinez’s 23rd of the season, tying Mike Trout for the most home runs in the league this year. While he still has a ways to go before eclipsing the career-best 45-HR mark he set in 2017, he’s off to a strong start this season: Entering Friday’s game, the 30-year-old slugger was batting .315/.386/.623 with a 1.009 OPS and AL-leading 55 RBI in 308 PA. He finished Friday’s game 4-for-5 with five RBI, just one triple shy of hitting for the cycle.

Heading into the All-Star Break, both Martinez and Trout still have some competition for the home run title. Jose Ramirez is sitting at 22 homers, while Nelson Cruz and Khris Davis are tied at 20 apiece.