ESPN’s Buster Olney reported two weeks ago that the Dodgers were viewing free agent Scott Rolen as a “possible target” in their quest for third base depth. And now the club has confirmed that interest.
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly told Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register on Saturday that he has spoken directly to Rolen, who is still deciding whether he wants to continue his playing career.
“Ned (Colletti, Dodgers GM) mentioned him to me and I talked to him,” Mattingly said Saturday during the organization’s annual Fan Fest event at Dodger Stadium. “I can’t really speak for him (Rolen). We just talked about what we were thinking, what we were looking at. I don’t think anybody thought of him being available until a few weeks ago. I just talked to him about the possibility if you don’t go back there … if it ends up being he doesn’t go back to Cincinnati, then that’s when we’d talk.”
The Reds have an excellent young third baseman in Todd Frazier and probably can’t offer Rolen much playing time in 2013. The Dodgers, meanwhile, are planning to start Luis Cruz at the hot corner.
The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.
However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”
Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.
Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.
Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.
No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.