Hey, look, it’s positive news about Carl Crawford:
Appearing on 710 ESPNLA Tuesday, Dodgers president Stan Kasten said he had just gotten a positive medical report, including video, and that the four-time All-Star has lost 10 pounds since last season and has started to throw.
“At no time has he felt he wouldn’t be ready for Opening Day,” Kasten said. “That’s exactly how we feel.”
This comes from ESPN Los Angeles’ Mark Saxon.
Crawford underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery in late August, but he has experienced no setbacks up to this point and is on track to be fully healthy for the beginning of the 2013 regular season.
The 31-year-old has been a major disappointment since signing a seven-year, $142 million free agent contract with the Red Sox in December 2010. He batted just .255/.289/.405 in 2011 and .282/.306/.479 last season.
Red Sox pitcher Nathan Eovaldi is likely to be activated from the 10-day injured list this weekend and will join the bullpen, per Justin Leger of NBC Sports Boston.
Eovaldi, 29, had a superb postseason showing with the Red Sox last year, including a six-inning relief appearance in Game 3 of the World Series. That propelled him to ink a four-year, $68 million contract with the Red Sox in December.
Eovaldi underwent athroscopic surgery in April to remove loose bodies in his elbow and has been out ever since. He had allowed 14 earned runs on 21 hits and 11 walks with 16 strikeouts in 21 innings prior to going on the IL.
The Red Sox bullpen has been middling at best this season, owning a composite 4.55 ERA. Six different relievers have accrued saves, none more than Ryan Brasier‘s seven and he was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket earlier this week. It’s quite possible Eovaldi finds himself closing out games down the stretch.