Pirates GM Neal Huntington defends SEALs training

34 Comments

The Pirates have taken guff from various corners of the baseball universe — and from some of their own players — for requiring exhausting Navy SEALs-style training methods at the minor league level.

And now they’re also getting criticism from fans.

Bob Cohn, a staff writer for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, describes the scene from Saturday afternoon’s open fan Q&A at PirateFest:

The Pirates‘ controversial Navy SEALs training program for its minor-league players escaped mention during season-ticket holders‘ questions to team management Friday at PirateFest. But then there was Saturday‘s Q&A at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center open to the so-called “general fans.”

One of them, Matthew Wein, 30, of Pittsburgh, raised the point while challenging the qualifications and expertise of assistant general manager Kyle Stark and director of player development Larry Broadway. Among his questions and comments, Wein cited “the techniques these guys are using in the minors, the militaristic garbage to train baseball players.”

Pirates general manager Neal Huntington immediately went on the defensive, responding bluntly to Wein that the organization is committed to “the best physical, best mental, best personal development we can get” and that “if borrowing from the elite of the elites is a bad thing, I‘m puzzled by that.”

“Collegiate and Olympic teams have gained valuable insight, gained valuable experience from the Navy SEALs,” continued Huntington. “We‘re not alone in our belief that these techniques work. As a matter of fact, these are the scientifically proven techniques that help young men grow, that help young men develop.”

Pirates owner Bob Nutting said last month that the training — which included late-night scavenger hunts and a “Hell Week” — would be discontinued. But it doesn’t sound like the team’s higher-ups necessarily want it to.

Padres to place Franchy Cordero on DL, activate Hunter Renfroe

Denis Poroy/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Padres will place outfielder Franchy Cordero on the 10-day disabled list and activate outfielder Hunter Renfroe from the DL on Monday.

Cordero, 23, has been slumping, batting .140 with four extra-base hits in 47 plate appearances dating back to May 11. The Padres noticed that the forearm issue has been affecting his swing in recent games. Manager Andy Green said, “It was something where he could swing a certain way to manage it. But swinging that way was not him.”

Renfroe, 26, has been out since mid-April due to inflammation in his right elbow. He hit .200/.281/.440 in 57 PA prior to landing on the disabled list. Renfroe played in 10 rehab games with Triple-A El Paso.