Ryan Dempster, Red Sox agree to two-year, $26.5 million deal

55 Comments

UPDATE: Rosenthal says it’s a two-year, $26.5 million deal, so by turning down the previous two-year offer Dempster gets a little extra cash and the Red Sox still manage to avoid a three-year commitment.

==========

Yesterday the Red Sox and Ryan Dempster were said to be in serious negotiations and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the two sides are “close” to an agreement.

No word yet on the money or years involved, but previous reports had Dempster turning down a two-year, $25 million offer from Boston.

If the Red Sox agree to give him a three-year deal it’s a big risk, as Dempster is 35 years old and got knocked around in his first taste of the American League following a midseason trade to the Rangers. For the most part, though, he’s been a solid No. 2 or No. 3 starter, posting a 3.74 ERA and 911 strikeouts in 997 innings during the past three seasons, including a 3.38 ERA in 173 total innings this year.

Brewers designate Boone Logan for assignment, recall Freddy Peralta

Ron Schwane/Getty Images
1 Comment

The Brewers announced on Tuesday that reliever Boone Logan has been designated for assignment and starter Freddy Peralta has been recalled from Triple-A Colorado Springs. Peralta will start on Tuesday evening against the Pirates, opposite Jameson Taillon at PNC Park.

Logan, 33, has struggled this season, serving up seven runs on 15 hits and 10 walks with 14 strikeouts in 10 2/3 innings. The lefty inked a one-year, $2.5 million contract with the Brewers in January, but he missed the first six weeks of the season with a triceps injury.

Peralta, 22, made his major league debut last month, making a stellar start against the Rockies at Coors Field. He struck out 13 batters over 5 2/3 scoreless innings. He made another, less successful start against the Twins before heading back to the minors. With Colorado Springs, Peralta owns a 2.75 ERA with 84 strikeouts and 27 walks over 59 innings.