Brian Wilson isn’t happy that the Giants non-tendered him and isn’t wanted by the Dodgers, but manager Bruce Bochy would like the rehabbing right-hander back in San Francisco.
“Sometimes these things don’t go as smooth as you would like,” Bochy said, via Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com. “You still don’t forget the contributions he made to the Giants in 2010. I’d love to have a chance to talk to him here real soon. I wish him nothing but the best. Unfortunately, these things happen and they’re a part of the business.”
Bochy said he plans to call Wilson soon, but unless that chat is followed by a sizable offer from the Giants’ front office it seems unlikely to sway the free agent reliever.
Joakim Soria, who’s in a similar situation to Wilson in terms of the timing coming back from a season missed following Tommy John elbow surgery, is getting a two-year, $8 million deal from the Rangers. Wilson was non-tendered by the Giants because they didn’t want to pay him around $7 million on a one-year deal.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.