Ichiro Suzuki’s agent says he’s now talking to other teams

43 Comments

Tony Attanasio, the agent for Ichiro Suzuki, seems to be growing frustrated over the lack of attention his client is drawing from the Yankees here in early December. Via George King of the New York Post:

“At the beginning we talked a lot but since that time, zero,” Attanasio said. “As far as we are concerned we don’t care what the Yankees do. We have had conversations with multiple clubs. If we see something we like he will go through with it.”

Ichiro has made it known that he wants to remain in pinstripes and that remains the likeliest scenario.

The Yankees’ decision-makers have simply been to busy working on deals with veteran pitchers. Hiroki Kuroda inked a one-year, $15 million contract on November 20, Andy Pettitte agreed to a one-year, $12 million pact on November 28 and Mariano Rivera signed for one year and $10 million on November 30.

Ichiro, 39, batted .322/.340/.454 across 240 plate appearances with the Bombers this past season.

Cardinals shut down Carlos Martínez for two weeks due to shoulder issue

Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
3 Comments

MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosh reports that the Cardinals are shutting down pitcher Carlos Martínez from throwing for two weeks because his shoulder strength isn’t where it should have been at this point. Langosch added that an MRI showed no structural damage in Martínez’s right shoulder.

Interestingly, president of baseball operations John Mozeliak didn’t sound too happy with Martínez offseason training regimen. Per Mark Saxon of The Athletic, Mozeliak said, “Obviously, there’s a history with Carlos’ shoulder and it would be probably in everybody’s best interest if he maintained a constant or perpetual approach to that program.”

Martínez, 27, battled oblique and shoulder injuries last year. He accrued just 118 2/3 innings, making just 18 starts. He was moved to the bullpen when he returned from the disabled list in August and finished out the season in that role. Still, Martínez managed a 3.11 ERA with 117 strikeouts and 60 walks.

Langosch reported last week that the Cardinals were considering using Martínez in relief again in 2019. The latest news may push the Cardinals to indeed use Martínez out of the bullpen once again. He will be reevaluated in early March, but there is a chance he won’t be ready for Opening Day.