The Mets have made their “best offer” to David Wright

27 Comments

Andy Martino of the Daily News says that the Mets have made their “best offer” to David Wright and now await his response.  The offer is said to be a total of eight years and $140 million, which presumably includes the option year of 2013 plus seven more.

Martino says that the offer is backloaded with some deferred money, and in structure would be much like the Jose Reyes offer of last year.  the contract Jose Reyes ultimately signed with the Mets. (note: D.J. reminded me that the Mets never actually made Reyes an offer, only talked parameters; my bad).

Some have reported that it’s important to Wright that his total deal exceed the $137.5 million Johan Santana received from the team. If that’s the primary concern, I suppose it’s met, even if the per-year dollars are a good bit lower than that which Santana is getting these days.

In any event, the ball is in Wright’s court.

Masahiro Tanaka to throw off a mound this weekend

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Earlier this month Yankees starter Masahiro Tanaka strained both of his hamstrings while running the bases in an interleague game against the Mets and was sent to the 10-day DL. Today it was announced that the beginning of the end of most DL stints for pitchers — throwing off of a mound — is in Tanaka’s immediate future.

Tanaka is scheduled to throw off a mound Sunday, which will be his first real (well, fake real) pitching action since the June 9th injury. Assuming the session goes well, Tanaka is expected to return to the Yankees’ starting rotation sometime in early-to-mid July. With the All-Star break coming the week of July 16, it would not be hard to imagine the Yankees giving him a few extra days to get right.

Tanaka is 7-2 with a 4.58 ERA and a K/BB ratio of 73/19 in 72.2 innings on the season.