Kevin Slowey didn’t pitch at all in the majors this season, but that hasn’t stopped teams from expressing interest. At least if what Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com was told can be believed.
Slowey climbed Mount Kilimanjaro with R.A. Dickey last offseason, but he didn’t enjoy nearly the same success in 2012. The Indians picked him up as rotation insurance in January following Roberto Hernandez’s arrest in the Dominican Republic, but he failed to make the rotation out of spring training. Slowey ended up making just eight starts at Triple-A Columbus due to a stress fracture in his rib cage, posting a 5.14 ERA and 34/13 K/BB ratio over 49 innings. He made $2.75 million this season and was set to get a raise in arbitration, so the Indians recently decided to cut him loose.
Slowey has a 4.66 ERA over five major league seasons, all with the Twins. The 28-year-old right-hander may struggle to get a guaranteed major league contract.
Former Red Sox first baseman Hanley Ramirez is reportedly being “eyed” in an ongoing federal and state investigation, per Michele McPhee of ABC News. McPhee did not elaborate on the exact nature of the investigation itself, but provided a few more details during an interview with 98.5 The Sports Hub on Friday:
“Obviously, I know absolutely nothing about sports or Hanley Ramirez’s stats, but what I do know is crime,” McPhee said. “And there has been some reports about a FaceTime phone call that was made between a man during a car stop. After that car stop, police recovered a significant amount of drugs. And during that car stop, the suspect claimed that one of the items found in the vehicle belonged to Hanley Ramirez and then FaceTimed [Ramirez] in front of police. And that car stop coordinated with the timing of his release from the Red Sox.”
McPhee further clarified that she thinks the suspect — who was reportedly transporting 435 grams of fentanyl and a “large amount” of crack cocaine — was tied to “a sweeping federal case involving a substantial ring that’s being operated out of Lawrence, Massachusetts.”
Ramirez, the Red Sox, and Major League Baseball have all denied knowledge of any current investigation. According to the Boston Globe’s Alex Speier, Red Sox VP of media relations Kevin Gregg insisted that Ramirez had been dropped from the team for baseball reasons alone and had not been made aware of an investigation at the time of his release.
“Hanley has no knowledge of any of the allegations contained in this media report and he is not aware of any investigation,” the infielder’s agent, Adam Katz, added Friday.
The 34-year-old Ramirez was designated for assignment on May 25 and became a free agent on June 1. Prior to his release, he batted .254/.313/.395 over 195 plate appearances, 302 shy of the 497-PA threshold he would have needed to cross in order to activate his vesting option for 2019. He’s still owed the remainder of his $22 million salary for 2018.