One year removed from kidnapping, Wilson Ramos trying to focus on rehab from knee surgery

2 Comments

Yesterday marked the one-year anniversary of Wilson Ramos being kidnapped from his home in Venezuela. The harrowing ordeal has made an indelible imprint on his memory, but he told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post yesterday that he’s much more focused on rehabbing his surgically-repaired right knee.

“The truth is that I’m happy to be out of the situation,” Ramos said in a telephone interview Friday afternoon after his physical therapy session ended. “I know it’s been a year and remembering it, it was a sad moment and I hope to get away from it and forget about it. It’ll be hard to totally forget something like that. But, overall, I’m pretty calm now and worrying totally about my recovery. And I think that’s more important for me, taking care of my knee.”

Ramos appeared in 25 games with the Nationals this season prior to injuring his knee while chasing a passed ball behind the plate on May 12. He ended up needing surgeries to repair tears of both his ACL and meniscus. The 25-year-old hasn’t returned to Venezuela since the offseason, as he’s currently staying in the Washington, D.C. area, but he plans to make a visit once his rehab is over.

As for his progress from the surgeries, Ramos isn’t ready to run quite yet, but he can exercise on a stationary bike and do full body workouts with weights. He has dropped 10 pounds and plans to lose more weight, so we could have a best shape of his life candidate here. The hope is that he’ll be ready by the time pitchers and catchers report in February, though the Nationals will likely ease him into Grapefruit League action. Ramos is still considered the catcher of the future in Washington, but with Kurt Suzuki under contract for 2013, the Nationals can afford to give him all the time he needs.

Royals sign Drew Storen to minor league deal

Drew Storen
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Royals are in agreement with right-handed reliever Drew Storen on a minor league deal, the team announced Friday. Per Jon Heyman of MLB Network, the deal is worth $1.25 million if the veteran righty breaks camp with the club this spring. Additional, albeit unspecified incentives will be included in the contract as well.

Storen, 31, is coming off of a protracted absence from any MLB duties. After inking a one-year deal with the Reds in 2017, he sustained a right elbow sprain toward the end of the year and underwent Tommy John surgery that October. He was effectively decommissioned for the club’s entire 2018 run and generated little interest around the league this winter, perhaps due in part to the uninspired 4.45 ERA, 3.8 BB/9, 7.9 SO/9, and career-low -0.2 fWAR he posted across 54 2/3 innings during his last healthy season.

While it’s not immediately clear what kind of performance the Royals can expect from Storen in spring training, they’re not exactly in a position to be choosy. Their bullpen ranked dead last among all MLB teams with a collective 5.04 ERA, 4.85 FIP, and -2.2 fWAR last year, and still appears to be in a state of flux as they approach Opening Day. Skipper Ned Yost told reporters Wednesday that he intends to eschew the traditional closer appointment in 2019 and will instead utilize a combination of right-handers Wily Peralta and Brad Boxberger, lefty Tim Hill, and various others as he tackles high-leverage situations in the future.