The State of the David Ortiz talks

7 Comments

Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com has an update on the David Ortiz-Red Sox talks, which both parties likely want to put to bed soon without the sort of beefing we had in the past two offseasons:

A source with knowledge of the talks said Wednesday that the two sides continue to exchange proposals, with some progress being made, but are not close to a deal.

Nick Cafardo says similar things — talks ongoing — but is more bullish on the timeline, saying that the parties think they’ll have something done withing 24 hours, and on how close the parties are on money (he calls it “a modest gap”).

As McAdam notes, there is not any magic to the timeline, though, apart from convenience. Even if a deal is not struck by then, it is a no-brainer that the Sox will make Ortiz a qualifying offer — $13.3 million for one year — and that Ortiz will decline it, given that it would represent a pay cut from the $14.575 million he made in 2012.

Sure, that would make him fair game for any other team, but I think the most shocking thing of this offseason would be for David Ortiz to change teams.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
26 Comments

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.