Here are the lineups for Game 7 of the NLCS between the Cardinals and Giants, in San Francisco:
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
1. Jon Jay, CF 1. Angel Pagan, CF
2. Carlos Beltran, RF 2. Marco Scutaro, 2B
3. Matt Holliday, LF 3. Pablo Sandoval, 3B
4. Allen Craig, 1B 4. Buster Posey, C
5. Yadier Molina, C 5. Hunter Pence, RF
6. David Freese, 3B 6. Brandon Belt, 1B
7. Daniel Descalso, 2B 7. Gregor Blanco, LF
8. Pete Kozma, SS 8. Brandon Crawford, SS
9. Kyle Lohse, SP 9. Matt Cain, SP
Matt Holliday is in the Cardinals’ lineup after sitting out Game 6 with a back injury, which means manager Mike Matheny can go with his now-standard playoff batting order with the season on the line.
Bruce Bochy is also going with his standard lineup versus a right-handed pitcher.
“You know the law: Two teams enter, one team leaves.”
The Rangers announced a minor trade, sending third baseman Patrick Wisdom to the Cardinals for utilityman Drew Robinson. More interestingly, the club also announced that former pitcher Brandon McCarthy has joined the Rangers’ front office as a special assistant to general manager Jon Daniels.
McCarthy, 35, retired after the 2018 season. He was done following a June 24 start against the Orioles, never quite able to fully recover from a knee injury. The right-hander battled injuries throughout his 13-year career, which he spent with the White Sox, Rangers, Athletics, Diamondbacks, Yankees, Dodgers, and Braves.
It isn’t surprising that McCarthy has landed in a front office following his playing career. He has always shown an aptitude for analytics, the understanding of which is essentially a must-have in front office roles these days.