We heard earlier this week that the Blue Jays were in negotiations to send manager John Farrell to the Red Sox and it appears the situation is getting close to a resolution.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears that the clubs are “making progress” in compensation talks. Assuming an agreement is eventually worked out, Farrell will be named the new manager of the Red Sox.
Farrell served as the pitching coach of the Red Sox from 2006-2010 before leaving for the Blue Jays manager gig. He only has one year left on his contract, but a baseball source told Joe McDonald and Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com that the Blue Jays would likely ask for a player of “substantial value” in order to give up their manager to a division rival.
While Farrell is reportedly the top choice for Boston’s vacant manager job, multiple candidates have interviewed over the past week, including Yankees bench coach Tony Pena, Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach, Padres special assistant Brad Ausmus, and Orioles third base coach DeMarlo Hale.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.