Roger Clemens won’t rule out comeback in 2013

15 Comments

Roger Clemens has shut himself down for the rest of 2012, but he hasn’t completely given up on the dream of one day returning to the major leagues.

The 50-year-old right-hander will be in Kissimmee, Florida with the Astros next spring to fulfill his personal services contract and may be more than just a special instructor if his arm cooperates in workouts leading up to the opening of camp.

Via Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle:

“I might be going again here in February or something like that,” Clemens said Saturday. “I’ll be throwing. I don’t think it’s going to be competitive, but you guys know with me, I’m never going to shut the door on anything. Who knows what might happen.”

Clemens threw seven scoreless innings over two starts earlier this summer for the independent Sugar Land Skeeters. The seven-time Cy Young Award winner hasn’t pitched in the majors since the 2007 season.

Dustin Pedroia suffers a “significant setback” in his recovery

Getty Images
1 Comment

Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia has suffered “a significant setback” with his left knee, making his availability for spring training questionable. Abraham says that Pedroia is “discussing his options with his family, agents, and the Sox.”

Pedroia underwent “knee joint preservation” surgery last year, which is often used as an alternative to full knee replacement. As it was, he played in only three games in 2018 and appeared in just six games in 2019, accruing just three hits in 34 plate appearances.

In light of the severity of his injury, the severity of his surgery and all of the time he’s missed over the past few years, it was already something of a long shot for Pedroia play again as it was. Indeed, he himself was not even sure if he’d play again when asked at one point last season. But this sounds positively dire.