Alex Avila dealing with headache after collision with Prince Fielder

3 Comments

Alex Avila was held out of the starting lineup this afternoon against the White Sox after he hurt his jaw in a collision with teammate Prince Fielder during yesterday’s game, but the hope was that he wouldn’t have to miss much time after he passed a concussion test. However, Tigers manager Jim Leyland told Chris Iott of MLive.com after today’s game that Avila had a headache during batting practice and won’t return to the lineup until he’s back to 100 percent.

“He wasn’t going to play under any circumstances,” Tigers manager Jim Leyland said after his team’s 5-4 loss to the Chicago White Sox. “And I can’t tell you about tomorrow. That’s a real touchy one when you start messing with upstairs. I’ll have to feel 100 percent that he’s totally cleared before I play him.”

It’s not clear if Avila will be sent for more tests, but obviously the Tigers aren’t going to take any chances if the headaches continue. Gerald Laird started behind the plate this afternoon and went 1-for-3 with a run scored. Bryan Holaday, a September call-up, is the third catcher on the active roster.

Avila, 25, is batting .247/.355/.388 with eight home runs, 43 RBI and a .743 OPS in 107 games played this year. He has thrown out 31 percent (33 out 106) of attempted basestealers.

John Gibbons will close out the year as Blue Jays skipper

John Gibbons
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Blue Jays manager John Gibbons is slated to remain with the club through the end of the 2018 season, general manager Ross Atkins told reporters on Friday. The news follows a report from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, who cast some doubt on the veteran skipper’s future with the team several weeks ago when he said the Jays “seem destined to move on from John Gibbons.”

While it appears Gibbons’ job is safe for the next six weeks, that’s not saying much — especially as the club currently sits 30.5 games back of the division lead and will prepare to continue restructuring a sub-.500 roster come fall. As recently as last week, he hinted that he wasn’t feeling particularly eager to oversee a full rebuild. Per Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun:

Truthfully, a full breakdown, you know I have to admit I don’t know if I’m interested in that,” Gibbons said prior to Friday’s 7-0 blowout loss to the Tampa Rays. “But we’ll see. I’m still here. I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.

Over 11 cumulative seasons from 2004-2008 and 2013-2018, the 56-year-old manager has guided the team to a winning record just five times, most recently when they earned back-to-back playoff appearances in 2015 and 2016. He still has another year remaining on his contract, which was recently lengthened to include the 2018 and 2019 seasons and includes an option for 2020 as well.

Atkins also revealed that the club is prepared to reevaluate Gibbons’ role during the offseason, though it’s not yet clear whether they intend to keep him on for the next two years as originally planned, reassign him to another role within the organization, or terminate his agreement with the team altogether.