Based on the comments I get about Red Sox articles around here, there are a lot of you who believe that Larry Lucchino is part of, if not the source of, the chronic dysfunction in Boston. If you’re in that camp, bad news my friends:
Red Sox owner John Henry said Thursday that team president and CEO Larry Lucchino will be back with the team in 2013 and that he has signed a contract extension … Earlier Thursday, also on WEEI, Lucchino hinted he’d be around a while.
“I love it here. I love Boston,” he said. “This is the place I call home. I hope to be here for the foreseeable future.”
Not surprising. And probably not the biggest deal on he planet. It’s not like there wasn’t dysfunction in Boston before Lucchino got there. And it’s not like there hasn’t been great success while he was there as well. If the Sox win, you never read his name in the paper and never hear it on the radio. If they lose, you do.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.