Freddy Sanchez holding out hope for return this season

9 Comments

Freddy Sanchez hasn’t played a game in the majors since June 10 of last year following shoulder and back surgeries, but he’s still hoping to help the Giants as a pinch-hitter down the stretch.

According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Sanchez is currently working out at the Giants’ complex in Scottsdale and could begin playing in instructional league games as soon as Monday.

Sanchez began this season on the disabled list following surgery last August to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder. The 34-year-old second baseman suffered numerous setbacks before undergoing surgery on his back on July 5 to address a nerve issue which was affecting his leg strength. Giants trainer Dave Groeschner still considers a return “highly unlikely,” but Sanchez is willing to help in any way he can.

“There’s obviously no room right now and everybody is doing great, so I realize it’s a tough situation,” Sanchez told me by phone on Friday. “Ryan Theriot, Joaquin Arias, Marco Scutaro, all those guys have been there and are playing great. Sometimes you can’t mess with that.

“But my goal was to always come back this year. If I can be a bat off the bench, or help in any way, I want to be there.”

Sanchez was a key part of the Giants’ World Series run in 2010, but he has made $18 million over the past three seasons while appearing in just 171 games.

Red Sox employees “livid” over team pay cut plan

Getty Images
14 Comments

Even Drellich of The Athletic reports that the Boston Red Sox are cutting the pay of team employees. Those cuts, which began to be communicated last night, apply to all employees making $50,000 or more. They are tiered cuts, with people making $50-99,000 seeing salary cut by 20%, those making $100k-$499,000 seeing $25% cuts and those making $500,000 or more getting 30% cuts.

Drellich reported that a Red Sox employee told him that “people are livid” over the fact that those making $100K are being treated the same way as those making $500K. And, yes, that does seem to be a pretty wide spread for similar pay cuts. One would think that a team with as many analytically-oriented people on staff could perhaps break things down a bit more granularly.

Notable in all of this that the same folks who own the Red Sox — Fenway Sports Group — own Liverpool FC of the English Premier League, and that just last month Liverpool’s pay cut/employee furlough policies proved so unpopular that they led to a backlash and a subsequent reversal by the club. That came after intense criticism from Liverpool fan groups and local politicians. Sox owner John Henry must be confident that no such backlash will happen in Boston.

As we noted yesterday, The Kansas City Royals, who are not as financially successful as the Boston Red Sox, have not furloughed employees or cut pay as a result of baseball’s shutdown in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Perhaps someone in Boston could call the Royals and ask them how they managed that.