After playing a central part in the Dodgers’ spending spree over the past couple of months, general manager Ned Colletti is about to be rewarded by the team’s new ownership group.
According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers have opened talks with Colletti on a long-term contract extension. Team chairman Mark Walter confirmed that a new deal is on the table, but said he did not know any details of the discussion. Colletti’s contract is guaranteed through this year and includes mutual options.
Colletti was hired as Dodgers’ general manager after the 2005 season. The team made the playoffs in three of his first four years on the job, but haven’t played postseason ball since 2009. Despite the high-profile additions of Hanley Ramirez, Shane Victorino, Joe Blanton, Brandon League, Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Beckett over the past two months, the Dodgers currently sit 4 1/2 games behind the Giants in the National League West and 1 1/2 games back in the Wild Card race.
It’s a little surprising to see this happen before the season ends, as it would be perfectly understandable if the new ownership group wanted to install one of their own guys if they miss out on the playoffs, but they are apparently satisfied with the status quo. And hey, the way the Dodgers are throwing coin around right now, Colletti could make more mistakes like Juan Uribe and Andruw Jones and it may not matter that much.
Last month, Mariners former director of high performance, Dr. Lorena Martin, was dismissed from the club after the first year of her three-year contract. She made serious allegations of racism and sexism against the Mariners in the days that followed, all of which have been the subject of multiple investigations by the team itself as well as Major League Baseball. On Friday evening, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic published an email that had purportedly been sent to Mariners staff members by CEO John Stanton.
The email itself was printed here in full (subscription required) and basically rehashes everything the Mariners said in an official statement on Monday: That the team continues to deny allegations of racist and sexist behavior by general manager Jerry Dipoto, manager Scott Servais, and farm director Andy McKay because they are “completely inconsistent with who they are and what the Seattle Mariners stand for.”
Stanton added that no one had stepped forward to corroborate Martin’s accusations so far, and also went out of his way to mention that he had never personally observed members of the Mariners personnel “making disparaging, racist or sexist comments” during two trips to the Dominican Republic. The email concluded with an invitation for other staff members to speak up if they had any differing experiences or concerns about the team.
According to multiple reports from the Seattle Times and Tacoma News Tribune, among other outlets, Martin has yet to reveal a number of incriminating emails she claimed to have in her possession, nor has any staff member publicly supported her previous statements on her wrongful termination or the toxic culture within the club. That doesn’t mean, however, that the allegations she made against the Mariners are false, just as Stanton’s claim that he never personally witnessed instances of racism and sexism within the organization doesn’t mean that racist and sexist statements and actions were never made. As Bill pointed out, Martin has likely burned all bridges within the organization and, more significantly, throughout the league as well. It stands to reason that others would feel hesitant to come forward in light of the harsh ramifications that typically await whistleblowers in this kind of situation.
We’ll update this story as it continues to develop.