There’s once again a tie atop the AL East standings.
The Orioles used six homers, including two more from Mark Reynolds, to ward off a big eighth-inning comeback and beat the Yankees 10-6 on Thursday.
The Bombers scored five times in the top of the eighth without the benefit of a homer to even the game up at 6, but the Orioles roared right back with three homers in the bottom of the frame. Two of them came off David Robertson, who failed to get an out and took the loss to drop to 1-6 on the year.
It was the Orioles’ first six-homer game since Aug. 28, 2007 against the Rays.
Reynolds’ two-homer game was his third in a week against the Yankees, as he also went deep twice in wins at Yankee Stadium on Friday and Sunday. He joins Hall of Famer Hank Greenberg as just the second player ever to have three two-homer games against the Yankees in the same season. Greenberg did it for the Tigers in 1938.
Also going yard for the Orioles were Matt Wieters, Robert Andino, Adam Jones and Chris Davis. Jones had the tiebreaker in the bottom of the eighth, making it a 7-6 game. Reynolds and Davis later went back-to-back in the frame.
Reynolds also homered twice against the Blue Jays this week, so he has eight home runs in his last seven games. He had just 12 in 103 games through Aug. 30.
The Yankees and Orioles are set for three more games at Camden Yards, so barring a rainout, the tie atop the standings won’t survive the weekend. Phil Hughes and Wei-Yin Chen will battle in Friday’s game.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.
Update, 3/23: Gennett has been diagnosed with a right groin strain and will miss 8-12 weeks in recovery, the Reds said Saturday. Per The Athletic’s C. Trent Rosecrans, José Peraza and José Iglesias will cover second base and shortstop, respectively, with Kyle Farmer staying on as a backup option. Senzel will remain in Triple-A and continue his development as a center fielder.