Chris Carpenter’s 2012 season was supposed to be over after he underwent surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome last month, but the 37-year-old right-hander threw two innings of live batting practice Friday.
“We went into today going out and face hitters if everything’s going good. Take that next step and see what happens,” said Carpenter. “Like I said all along, I’m not just going to sit around and waste the month.”
While he’s not going to be able to go make rehab starts in the minors, Carpenter may have enough time to get stretched out to potentially start a game or two at the end of September for the Cardinals. The team could then make a decision on his status for the postseason if it’s in position for a wild card spot.
Carpenter has missed the entire 2012 season. He went 11-9 with a 3.45 ERA last year and then 4-0 with a 3.25 ERA in six postseason starts as the Cardinals won the World Series.
Rangers GM Jon Daniels said he doesn’t expect the club to make a $17.9 million qualifying offer to free agent third baseman Adrián Beltré, MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan reports. Daniels has been in touch with the 39-year-old, who may retire.
Beltré battled hip and hamstring issues throughout the past season, limiting him to 119 games. He hit .273/.328/.434 with 15 home runs and 65 RBI in 481 plate appearances. Going by adjusted OPS, his mark of 98 — 100 is average — was his lowest in a season since 2009 with the Mariners. Beltré’s career average is 116 and he put up a 132 in 2017 and 128 in ’16.
Beltré appears to have some stuff left in the tank. He may not be an All-Star-caliber player anymore, but he can still hit at an average level and he is still an above-average defender. It’s just a matter of his body holding up to allow him to do what he needs to do. If Beltré does decide to re-up with the Rangers for 2019, the club will be prepared to move Isiah Kiner-Falefa or Jurickson Profar over to the hot corner as they did in 2018 in the event Beltré gets bitten by the injury bug.