Roger Clemens to make second start for the Sugar Land Skeeters on September 7

22 Comments

Roger Clemens told the Houston Chronicle earlier this week that he had no immediate plans to pitch again after completing 3 1/3 scoreless innings last Saturday evening for the Sugar Land Skeeters of the independent Atlantic League. But the itch has suddenly returned. Or something along those lines.

Mark Berman of FOX 26 (KRIV) in Houston received a text message from the 50-year-old right-hander on Wednesday night, stating that plans are being made for a second outing on September 7.

That’s next Friday, which would give Clemens nearly two full weeks of rest. If he fares well again perhaps the Astros — or a similarly desperate MLB team — will come calling with a minor league contract offer.

Clemens, a seven-time Cy Young Award winner, hasn’t appeared in the majors since the 2007 season.

Padres to place Franchy Cordero on DL, activate Hunter Renfroe

Denis Poroy/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Padres will place outfielder Franchy Cordero on the 10-day disabled list and activate outfielder Hunter Renfroe from the DL on Monday.

Cordero, 23, has been slumping, batting .140 with four extra-base hits in 47 plate appearances dating back to May 11. The Padres noticed that the forearm issue has been affecting his swing in recent games. Manager Andy Green said, “It was something where he could swing a certain way to manage it. But swinging that way was not him.”

Renfroe, 26, has been out since mid-April due to inflammation in his right elbow. He hit .200/.281/.440 in 57 PA prior to landing on the disabled list. Renfroe played in 10 rehab games with Triple-A El Paso.