Yankees GM Brian Cashman ‘not surprised’ Melky, Colon tested positive

54 Comments

Speaking Tuesday on ESPN New York, Yankees GM Brian Cashman said he was “not surprised” about the positive PED tests for Melky Cabrera and Bartolo Colon.

ESPNNewYork.com’s Andrew Marchand has the quotes:

“In Melky’s case, I think I said in the New York Times article, recently in June, they asked me about him, that when we traded him we had him as (a) low-end, every-day regular or an excellent fourth outfielder,” Cashman said. “And that shows where we thought his ceiling was. As you know, he was starting for us in the World Series, but we had him as a low-end, every-day guy, not a National League MVP candidate. So I wasn’t surprised.”

Because I’m usually really good at evaluating talent, you know.

“You see some spike in performance, you know,” Cashman said. “You hope it is not the case. You scratch your head and you wonder at the same time. But then you sit there and get a comfort level. Tests are taking place, but then over time when those tests fail, like they did. I think whenever you see someone, in Bartolo’s case, as well as he has done last year and then, as well, coming back this year, at his age, after coming back from this surgery, makes you scratch your head.”

Considering how many Yankees have experienced performance spikes and seemingly defied usual aging patterns, it’s no wonder Cashman spends so much time scratching his head.

Scooter Gennett upset with Reds over lack of communication regarding contract extension

Andy Lyons/Getty Images
4 Comments

Reds second baseman Scooter Gennett can become a free agent after the 2019 season. He has become one of baseball’s better second basemen since the Reds claimed him off waivers from the Brewers in March 2017. Over the last two years, he has hit 50 homers with an .859 OPS. The only second basemen with a better OPS (min. 700 plate appearances) since the start off the 2017 season are José Altuve (.900) and Daniel Murphy (.876).

Gennett is upset the Reds haven’t been in contact with him to discuss a contract extension, John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports. Gennett said, “We’ve definitely opened it up. They know I want to play here. They know I enjoy playing on this team. I enjoy the fans. I enjoy the coaching staff. I enjoy my teammates. They know all that. There’s nothing else to tell them at this point. It’s waiting for them to come back, which they have not.” He added, “(We’ve) heard absolutely nothing. Zero.”

As Fay points out, Gennett was born in Cincinnati and grew up a Reds fan, so this is a cinch for the club if it makes any effort. The Reds presently have just $58 million in 25-man roster obligations for the 2020 season.