Starlin Castro’s extension with the Cubs could be announced Tuesday

5 Comments

Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com reported last weekend that the Cubs and Starlin Castro had reached an agreement on a long-term contract extension, but we’re still waiting on an official announcement. That should change soon.

According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago, the deal could be announced as soon as tomorrow. Castro’s agent, Paul Kinzer, was at Wrigley Field today presumably putting the finishing touches on the agreement.

Castro will reportedly be guaranteed $60 million over seven years while the contract includes a $16 million club option for 2020 or a $1 million buyout. The 22-year-old shortstop was projected to qualify for arbitration for the first time this winter as a Super Two player, so the extension will buy out all four of his arbitration seasons and at least his first three years of free agency.

Castro entered tonight’s action with a .296/.333/.421 batting line and a .755 OPS over his first three seasons in the big leagues. He’s still a bit raw and may find himself at another position by the time the contract expires, but Theo Epstein and company are banking on Castro to be one of the cornerstones that gets the Cubs back on the winning track.

UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com has the contract details. In addition to a $6 million signing bonus, Castro make $5 million in 2013 and 2014, $6 million in 2015, $7 million in 2016, $9 million in 2017, $10 million in 2018 and $11 million in 2019. If he wins the MVP or finishes in the top five of MVP balloting twice, salaries for 2019 and the 2020 option year will increase by $2 million. He’ll max out at $79 million if the option year is exercised and he meets all escalator benchmarks.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
26 Comments

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.