R.A. Dickey notches 16th win as Mets snap six-game losing streak

3 Comments

R.A. Dickey is still very much alive in the conversation for the National League Cy Young award. The knuckleballer tossed seven innings of one-run ball this afternoon at Citi Field as part of a 3-1 win over the Astros. The strong performance helped the Mets snap a six-game losing streak.

Dickey actually got the Mets on the board first in the bottom of the the fourth inning when he hit a tapper along the first base line which caused Astros starter Fernando Abad and catcher Jason Castro to collide and Ronny Cedeno to scamper home from third. Yes, it was an as ugly as it sounds. Watch the play here. Justin Turner later added a solo homer in the sixth while Jason Bay had an RBI single in the eighth. This was the first time since last Friday that the Mets scored more than two runs in a game.

Dickey allowed just five hits while striking out two and walking one. The only run scored on a wild pitch in his final inning of work. It was a little curious to see him leave the game after throwing just 86 pitches, but Jon Rauch, Josh Edgin and Frank Francisco were able to hang on. Dickey is now tied with fellow Cy Young candidates Johnny Cueto and Gio Gonzalez for the National League lead with 16 wins and ranks fourth with a 2.76 ERA. He’s also tied with Stephen Strasburg for the National League lead with 183 strikeouts.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
20 Comments

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.