You’d think this would come from the low minors, but it’s from Triple-A. Either way, it’s fantastic:
- Team on a bad skid is getting killed.
- Other team has dumb celebration ritual that, while harmless, makes losing team mad.
- Managers bark at each other.
- Pitcher for losing team throws ball at hitter, gets himself and manager ejected.
- Manager yells at pitcher for being immature.
- Pitcher says “screw it, I quit.” And literally quits baseball. For good.
Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi reports that the Blue Jays are considering moving starter Jaime Garcia to the bullpen. If they go that route, Sam Gaviglio would start in Garcia’s place on Sunday against the Angels.
Garcia, 31, has struggled to a 6.16 ERA with a 56/31 K/BB ratio in 61 1/3 innings over 13 starts this season. Gaviglio, meanwhile, has a 3.75 ERA with 35 striekouts and 11 walks in 36 innings across six starts and two relief appearances for the Jays this year.
Garcia inked a one-year, $10 million contract with the Jays in February. The deal includes a club option for the 2019 season worth $10 million with a $2 million buyout.