It’s beginning to look more and more likely that Matt Garza will begin next season as a member of the Cubs.
Garza is still in shut-down mode due to a stress reaction in his right elbow. While he’s still hopeful of returning this year, David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com notes that Cubs manager Dale Sveum expressed some skepticism during an appearance on WGN Radio in Chicago this afternoon.
“To be honest with you, I’d be surprised if he pitches again this season. We all want him back but when the rehab is done and right now we have 48 or 49 games left and he works his butt off but’s going to be tough. Is it possible sometime this year? Sure, but I would be surprised if he pitches again this season,” Sveum said.
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that Sveum backtracked a bit upon arriving to Wrigley Field this afternoon, but he still conceded that a lot of things will have to go right for Garza to return this season.
“We don’t know that,” Sveum said. “It’s going to be very — I don’t want to say really unlikely he’ll be back — but it’ll probably take a lot of hard work and for some things to happen in the healing process to get back because you’re going to run out of time, basically to rehab. … It’ll be kind of tough, but some guys heal quicker than others.”
The Cubs reportedly shopped Garza leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, but assuming he doesn’t pitch again this season, teams will likely want him to prove his health next year before talking about a possible deal. The 28-year-old right-hander is making $9.5 million this season and is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter.
MLBPA player representative Max Scherzer sent out a short statement late Wednesday night regarding the ongoing negotiations between the owners and the union. On Tuesday, ownership proposed a “sliding scale” salary structure on top of the prorated pay cuts the players already agreed to back in March. The union rejected the proposal, with many worrying that it would drive a wedge in the union’s constituency.
Scherzer is one of eight players on the MLBPA executive subcommittee along with Andrew Miller, Daniel Murphy, Elvis Andrus, Cory Gearrin, Chris Iannetta, James Paxton, and Collin McHugh.
After discussing the latest developments with the rest of the players there’s no reason to engage with MLB in any further compensation reductions. We have previously negotiated a pay cut in the version of prorated salaries, and there’s no justification to accept a 2nd pay cut based upon the current information the union has received. I’m glad to hear other players voicing the same viewpoint and believe MLB’s economic strategy would completely change if all documentation were to become public information.
Indeed, aside from the Braves, every other teams’ books are closed, so there has been no way to fact-check any of the owners’ claims. Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts, for example, recently said that 70 percent of the Cubs’ revenues come from “gameday operations” (ticket sales, concessions, etc.). But it went unsubstantiated because the Cubs’ books are closed. The league has only acknowledged some of the union’s many requests for documentation. Without supporting evidence, Ricketts’ claim, like countless others from team executives, can only be taken as an attempt to manipulate public sentiment.
Early Thursday morning, ESPN’s Jeff Passan reported that the MLBPA plans to offer a counter-proposal to MLB in which the union would suggest a season of more than 100 games and fully guaranteed prorated salaries. It seems like the two sides are quite far apart, so it may take longer than expected for them to reach an agreement.