UPDATE: Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the deal is done and about to be announced.
1:32 PM: Heyman reports that Nate Schierholtz is in the deal too. That at least gives the Phillies and outfielder. Heyman likewise says that a pitcher could be going to Philly, making this a 3-for-1 deal. UPDATE: The pitcher is minor league reliever Seth Rosin.
12:29 PM: Ruben Amaro is taking no prisoners. Mere minutes after word of the completion of the Shane Victorino trade, Jon Heyman reports that the Giants have agreed to acquire Hunter Pence from the Phillies. There is word from the Giants, however, that the deal is not yet done. General reporterly consensus is settling on the notion that it’s probably almost done, but some details need sorted. The devil is in the details, of course.
The Giants are reported to be sending back catching prospect Tommy Joseph. No word yet if any other players are going to Philly, but Gary Brown, Brandon Belt or Kyle Crick are all reported to NOT be part of the deal. The Giants are reported to be picking up a “chunk” of Pence’s 2012 salary.
Pence is hitting .271/.336/.447 on the year with 17 homers and 59 RBI. He’s arbitration eligible next season.
Joseph, who just turned 21, is hitting .260/.313/.391 at Double-A Richmond of the Eastern League. He’s still young for his league, of course, and he has shown nice power in his previous two minor league seasons. Given that Carlos Ruiz is going to be a free agent after 2013 — and given that he will be entering his age-35 season the year after that — you have to figure the Phillies view Joseph as the heir apparent.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.
Update, 3/23: Gennett has been diagnosed with a right groin strain and will miss 8-12 weeks in recovery, the Reds said Saturday. Per The Athletic’s C. Trent Rosecrans, José Peraza and José Iglesias will cover second base and shortstop, respectively, with Kyle Farmer staying on as a backup option. Senzel will remain in Triple-A and continue his development as a center fielder.