The Royals dealt closer Jonathan Broxton to the Reds about 30 minutes before this afternoon’s trade deadline. And now it’s time for a fresh face to begin handling save opportunities in Kansas City.
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star spoke Tuesday with Royals manager Ned Yost, who named Greg Holland the club’s next ninth-inning man.
Holland hasn’t recorded a save this season, but the 26-year-old right-hander has a 3.19 career ERA and has fanned 153 batters in 118 1/3 MLB innings. He possesses a dominant arsenal, and is capable of shining down the stretch.
The Royals’ return for Broxton was lefty Donnie Joseph, who has a 1.72 ERA and 68/17 K/BB ratio in 52 1/3 innings this season in the minors, and J.C. Sulbaran, a right-hander whose numbers are less inspiring.
The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.
However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”
Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.
Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.
Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.
No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.