Pablo Sandoval strained his left hamstring while stretching for a throw at first base on Monday and the Giants have decided they won’t go short-handed on their roster any longer.
Per Amy Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com, Sandoval was placed on the disabled list this afternoon while light-hitting infielder Emmanuel Burriss was designated for assignment and first baseman Aubrey Huff was activated from the disabled list. Marco Scutaro, who was acquired from the Rockies late last night, was also added to the active roster and is starting at third base this afternoon against the Dodgers. Scutaro hasn’t made an appearance at the hot corner since 2008 as a member of the Blue Jays, but he’ll be asked to play there every day for now.
The move with Sandoval is retroactive to July 25, so he’ll be eligible to return on August 9. Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that they are hopeful he’ll be ready by then. It’s worth noting that August 9 is the last day of a road trip, so they could wait until they begin a six-game homestand on August 10.
Sandoval, 25, is batting .299/.352/.491 with eight home runs, 33 RBI and an .843 OPS in 62 games played this season. He missed five weeks after undergoing surgery in early May to remove a fractured hamate bone from his left hand.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.