Padres, Carlos Quentin agree to three-year, $27M extension

14 Comments

One of the top available bats is now off the market.

According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin — who had been drawing trade interest from a number of teams — agreed to a three-year, $27 million contract extension on Sunday morning with San Diego. The deal could carry a total value of $30 million if the 29-year-old slugger is able to climb his way to certain statistical plateaus.

Quentin is batting .273/.389/.525 with nine home runs, eight doubles and 22 RBI through 167 plate appearances this season. The fourth-place Friars will attempt to build an offense around him in the coming years. They do have an incredible amount of depth and promise in their minor league system.

Heyman suspects that the Padres will also try to lock up closer Huston Street instead of trading him.

MLB rejected Players’ 114-game season proposal, will not send a counter

Rob Manfred
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Major League Baseball has rejected the MLBPA’s proposal for a 114-game season and said it would not send a counter offer. The league said it has started talks with owners “about playing a shorter season without fans, and that it is ready to discuss additional ideas with the union.”

This should be understood as a game of chicken.

The background here is that the the owners are pretty much locked into the idea of paying players a prorated share of their regular salaries based on number of games played. The players, meanwhile, are pretty much locked in to the idea that the owners can set the length of the season that is played. Each side is trying to leverage their power in this regard.

The players proposed a probably unworkable number of games — 114 — as a means of setting the bidding high on a schedule that will work out well for them financially. Say, a settled agreement at about 80 games or so. The owners were rumored to be considering a counteroffer of a low number of games — say, 50 — as a means of still getting a significant pay cut from the players even if they’re being paid prorata. What Rosenthal is now reporting is that they won’t even counter with that.

Which is to say that the owners are trying to get the players to come off of their prorated salary rights under the threat of a very short schedule that would end up paying them very little. They won’t formally offer that short schedule, however, likely because (a) they believe that the threat of uncertain action is more formidable; and (b) they don’t want to be in the position of publicly demanding fewer baseball games, which doesn’t look very good to fans. They’d rather be in the position of saying “welp, the players wouldn’t talk to us about money so we have no choice, they forced us into 50 games.”

In other news, the NBA seems very close to getting its season resumed.