Fausto Carmona is now known as Roberto Hernandez following his January arrest in the Dominican Republic for falsifying his identity, but Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that he may soon be cleared for a work visa.
Leo Nunez of the Marlins was suspended eight weeks after it was revealed that his actual name is Juan Carlos Oviedo, but Indians general manager Chris Antonetti explained that he’s hopeful Hernandez/Carmona will avoid a suspension in large part because he agreed to re-work his contract and refund the team millions of dollars.
In an effort to speed up the visa process the Indians petitioned the State Department and Hernandez hired a lobbyist to work on his behalf. Bastian also notes that Ohio senators Sherrod Brown and Rob Portman “have also been involved in the case.”
All of which doesn’t necessarily mean Hernandez would be ready to jump right back into the Indians’ rotation once cleared for the work visa, but he’s been throwing regularly at the Indians’ complex in the Dominican Republic and his impending arrival may convince the team not to pursue starting pitching help at the trade deadline.
Carmona struggled last season, starting 32 games with a 5.25 ERA, but was an All-Star in 2010 and the 31-year-old right-hander has a 4.59 ERA in 150 career starts.
Blue Jays manager John Gibbons is slated to remain with the club through the end of the 2018 season, general manager Ross Atkins told reporters on Friday. The news follows a report from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, who cast some doubt on the veteran skipper’s future with the team several weeks ago when he said the Jays “seem destined to move on from John Gibbons.”
While it appears Gibbons’ job is safe for the next six weeks, that’s not saying much — especially as the club currently sits 30.5 games back of the division lead and will prepare to continue restructuring a sub-.500 roster come fall. As recently as last week, he hinted that he wasn’t feeling particularly eager to oversee a full rebuild. Per Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun:
Truthfully, a full breakdown, you know I have to admit I don’t know if I’m interested in that,” Gibbons said prior to Friday’s 7-0 blowout loss to the Tampa Rays. “But we’ll see. I’m still here. I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.
Over 11 cumulative seasons from 2004-2008 and 2013-2018, the 56-year-old manager has guided the team to a winning record just five times, most recently when they earned back-to-back playoff appearances in 2015 and 2016. He still has another year remaining on his contract, which was recently lengthened to include the 2018 and 2019 seasons and includes an option for 2020 as well.
Atkins also revealed that the club is prepared to reevaluate Gibbons’ role during the offseason, though it’s not yet clear whether they intend to keep him on for the next two years as originally planned, reassign him to another role within the organization, or terminate his agreement with the team altogether.