ESPN’s Buster Olney is among those who believe Ryan Dempster made his final Cubs start Saturday, when he extended his scoreless-inning streak to 33.
The Cubs might be in more of a hurry to move Dempster not just because his value is at a high point but also to help clear the way for a Matt Garza deal at the end of the month. If Dempster is already off the market, it could conceivably lead to more demand for Garza, who has increased value because he’s under control for 2013.
ESPN Chicago’s Bruce Levine says 10 teams are showing interest in Dempster, including the Braves, Dodgers, Indians, Tigers, White Sox and Yankees. Levine reports that, beyond young pitching, the Cubs would like to pick up a third-base prospect in a deal. The Tigers, with Nick Castellanos, could best fulfill the Cubs’ wishes there, though it’s unlikely they’d give him up for Dempster. Likewise, it seems doubtful the Indians would surrender Lonnie Chisenhall in return for Dempster.
Dempster is 5-3 with a 1.86 ERA in 92 innings this season. Since he’s spent 10 years in the league and five with the Cubs, he can veto any trade. However, he is expected to approve a deal.
Former Red Sox first baseman Hanley Ramirez is reportedly being “eyed” in an ongoing federal and state investigation, per Michele McPhee of ABC News. McPhee did not elaborate on the exact nature of the investigation itself, but provided a few more details during an interview with 98.5 The Sports Hub on Friday:
“Obviously, I know absolutely nothing about sports or Hanley Ramirez’s stats, but what I do know is crime,” McPhee said. “And there has been some reports about a FaceTime phone call that was made between a man during a car stop. After that car stop, police recovered a significant amount of drugs. And during that car stop, the suspect claimed that one of the items found in the vehicle belonged to Hanley Ramirez and then FaceTimed [Ramirez] in front of police. And that car stop coordinated with the timing of his release from the Red Sox.”
McPhee further clarified that she thinks the suspect — who was reportedly transporting 435 grams of fentanyl and a “large amount” of crack cocaine — was tied to “a sweeping federal case involving a substantial ring that’s being operated out of Lawrence, Massachusetts.”
Ramirez, the Red Sox, and Major League Baseball have all denied knowledge of any current investigation. According to the Boston Globe’s Alex Speier, Red Sox VP of media relations Kevin Gregg insisted that Ramirez had been dropped from the team for baseball reasons alone and had not been made aware of an investigation at the time of his release.
“Hanley has no knowledge of any of the allegations contained in this media report and he is not aware of any investigation,” the infielder’s agent, Adam Katz, added Friday.
The 34-year-old Ramirez was designated for assignment on May 25 and became a free agent on June 1. Prior to his release, he batted .254/.313/.395 over 195 plate appearances, 302 shy of the 497-PA threshold he would have needed to cross in order to activate his vesting option for 2019. He’s still owed the remainder of his $22 million salary for 2018.