Giancarlo Stanton missed his fourth straight game this afternoon due to a left knee injury and Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post is reporting that the Marlins have already ruled him out for Friday’s game.
Stanton underwent an MRI earlier this week which revealed a loose body in the knee. He took batting practice in the cage today without any issues, but the real test will come tomorrow when he goes through full pre-game activities.
Stanton will likely need to have the loose body removed at some point and the 22-year-old slugger even raised the possibility that he could undergo arthroscopic surgery during the All-Star break. The Marlins will do everything to avoid that, of course, so it’s possible he’ll sit out the rest of the weekend and maybe even the Home Run Derby and All-Star Game.
Stanton is hitting .283/.364/.555 with 19 home runs, 50 RBI and a .918 OPS in 78 games this season. He has amassed 75 home runs through his first 328 major league games.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.
Update, 3/23: Gennett has been diagnosed with a right groin strain and will miss 8-12 weeks in recovery, the Reds said Saturday. Per The Athletic’s C. Trent Rosecrans, José Peraza and José Iglesias will cover second base and shortstop, respectively, with Kyle Farmer staying on as a backup option. Senzel will remain in Triple-A and continue his development as a center fielder.