Anthony Rizzo made his major league debut last year as a member of the Padres and belted his first career home run in a June 11 loss to the Nationals.
Now he’s on the board with his new team, the Cubs.
The 22-year-old first baseman smoked a two-run blast over the right field fence in the bottom of the sixth inning Saturday, plating Starlin Castro and pushing the Cubs to a 3-2 lead over the Astros.
It’s a lead they would not relinquish, giving Rizzo his second game-winning hit in four games since arriving at Wrigley Field last Tuesday night. “It just feels good to get that win and get that monkey off my back hitting a home run and this and that,” he told JJ Stankevitz of CSNChicago.com after the victory.
Rizzo is now 4-for-15 with two doubles, a dinger and three RBI — good for a .267/.313/.600 slash line.
Reds second baseman Scooter Gennett can become a free agent after the 2019 season. He has become one of baseball’s better second basemen since the Reds claimed him off waivers from the Brewers in March 2017. Over the last two years, he has hit 50 homers with an .859 OPS. The only second basemen with a better OPS (min. 700 plate appearances) since the start off the 2017 season are José Altuve (.900) and Daniel Murphy (.876).
Gennett is upset the Reds haven’t been in contact with him to discuss a contract extension, John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports. Gennett said, “We’ve definitely opened it up. They know I want to play here. They know I enjoy playing on this team. I enjoy the fans. I enjoy the coaching staff. I enjoy my teammates. They know all that. There’s nothing else to tell them at this point. It’s waiting for them to come back, which they have not.” He added, “(We’ve) heard absolutely nothing. Zero.”
As Fay points out, Gennett was born in Cincinnati and grew up a Reds fan, so this is a cinch for the club if it makes any effort. The Reds presently have just $58 million in 25-man roster obligations for the 2020 season.