Dodgers, Astros discuss Carlos Lee. Jed Lowrie to stay put.

17 Comments

Update 3: Rosenthal indicates that right-hander Garrett Gould could be the primary return if Carlos Lee is dealt to the Dodgers. Again, it’s highly unlikely Zach Lee would be involved in such a trade.

Update 2: Olney confirms that it’s Carlos Lee that the Dodgers and Astros are discussing at the moment. Previous talks did involve Lowrie, but he’s no longer involved. Olney still puts the odds of a deal at 50-50.

If traded, Lee would take over as the Dodgers’ primary first baseman, leaving James Loney without much of a role. The Astros could take Loney back in such a deal for salary purposes, but they’re primarily interested in acquiring pitchers.

Update 1: Sources tell FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal that the talks involve Carlos Lee, not Lowrie, which would also seem to suggest that Zach Lee is not involved. The Dodgers won’t be giving up top prospects for Carlos Lee, that’s for sure. Also, Carlos Lee has a partial no-trade clause and could choose to block a deal.

///

ESPN’s Buster Olney is reporting that the Astros and Dodgers are discussing a deal that would send shortstop Jed Lowrie to Los Angeles for two of the team’s top pitching prospects: right-handers Zach Lee and Garrett Gould.

A source told Olney it’s about 50-50 to get done and there could be other names involved.

Lowrie, who didn’t play Thursday against the Cubs, leads all major league shortstops with 14 homers this year and is hitting .262/.350/.492 overall. The Astros acquired him and right-hander Kyle Weiland from the Red Sox for Mark Melancon over the winter.

Lee rates as the Dodgers’ best prospect. Given a $5.25 million bonus two years ago to keep him away from an LSU football scholarship, he’s gone 2-3 with a 4.26 ERA and a 59/13 K/BB ratio in 61 1/3 innings in the minors this season. 12 of his 13 starts came at high-A Rancho Cucamonga, but he was just promoted to Double-A. He was recently picked for the U.S. team in the Futures Game.

Gould, a 2009 second-round pick, is 1-6 with a 5.14 ERA and a 72/24 K/BB ratio in 72 innings for Rancho Cucamonga. While Lee could have a future as a No. 2 starter if things break right, Gould is probably more of a No. 4.

It’d seem to be a very good return for the Astros. Lowrie is having a terrific season, but he has a long injury history and he’s a bit below average defensively at shortstop. Cashing him in while his value is at its highest would be a nice move.

As for the Dodgers, Lowrie would certainly give the offense a boost if he keeps hitting like this. It’d be interesting to see what they’d do with him, though. Making him the regular shortstop and sending down Dee Gordon for additional season would make sense, but the team could also choose to use him at third over Juan Uribe and Jerry Hairston Jr.

MLBPA: MLB’s ‘demand for additional concessions was resoundingly rejected’

Rob Manfred and Tony Clark
LG Patterson/MLB via Getty Images
3 Comments

On Thursday evening, the Major League Baseball Players Association released a statement regarding ongoing negotiations between the owners and the union. The two sides continue to hash out details concerning a 2020 season. The owners want a shorter season, around 50 games. The union recently proposed a 114-game season that also offered the possibility of salary deferrals.

MLBPA executive director Tony Clark said that the union held a conference call that included the Executive Board and MLBPA player leaders. They “resoundingly rejected” the league’s “demand for additional concessions.”

The full statement:

In this time of unprecedented suffering at home and abroad, Players want nothing more than to get back to work and provide baseball fans with the game we all love. But we cannot do this alone.

Earlier this week, Major League Baseball communicated its intention to schedule a dramatically shortened 2020 season unless Players negotiate salary concessions. The concessions being sought are in addition to billions in Player salary reductions that have already been agreed upon.

This threat came in response to an Association proposal aimed at charting a path forward. Among other things, Players proposed more games, two years of expanded playoffs, salary deferrals in the event of a 2020 playoff cancellation, and the exploration of additional jewel events and broadcast enhancements aimed at creatively bringing our Players to the fans while simultaneously increasing the value of our product. Rather than engage, the league replied it will shorten the season unless Players agree to further salary reductions.

Earlier today we held a conference call of the Association’s Executive Board and several other MLBPA Player leaders. The overwhelming consensus of the Board is that Players are ready to report, ready to get back on the field, and they are willing to do so under unprecedented conditions that could affect the health and safety of not just themselves, but their families as well. The league’s demand for additional concessions was resoundingly rejected.

Important work remains to be done in order to safely resume the season. We stand ready to complete that work and look forward to getting back on the field.

As per the current agreement signed in March, if there is a 2020 season, players will be paid on a prorated basis. Thus, fewer games means the players get paid less and the owners save more. MLB has threatened to unilaterally set a 2020 season in motion if the two sides cannot come to terms. It should come as no surprise that the union has responded strongly on both fronts.

There have been varying reports in recent days over the confidence in a 2020 season happening. The MLBPA’s statement tonight doesn’t move the needle any; it simply affirms that the union remains steadfast in its goal to avoid a second significant cut in salaries.

As I see it, the ball is in the owners’ court. The owners can strongarm the players into a short season, saving money but significantly increasing the odds of a big fight in upcoming collective bargaining agreement negotiations. Or the owners can eat more of a financial loss, agreeing to a longer season than they feel is comfortable. The latter would have the double benefit of not damaging overall perception of the sport and would not disrupt labor peace going forward.

The MLBPA statement included a declaration that the players are “ready to report, ready to get back on the field, and they are willing to do so under unprecedented conditions.” If there is no 2020 season, we will have only the owners to blame, not the players.

Update: Cardinals pitcher Jack Flaherty, who has been quite vocal on social media about these negotiations, chimed in: