Giancarlo Stanton will be in the Home Run Derby

15 Comments

I don’t really care that much about the competition aspects of the Home Run Derby. I do, however, like to see mammoth blasts for their own sake, either in sheer distance or in quantity. After all, what’s the most memorable Home Run Derby thing ever? Josh Hamilton putting on the laser show at Yankee Stadium, right?  Well, he didn’t even win the competition that year, so who cares?

Which means that fame of the player or even home run count at the break doesn’t mean much to me as far as that competition goes. Just give me big strong dudes, even if they’re merely Wily Mo Pena-style BP-only guys.

Giancarlo Stanton is certainly better than that — he’s sporting an .886 OPS right now — but given what he’s done in BP and on random home runs over the past couple of years, he should be in the Derby whether he’s an All-Star or not. Which makes this, from Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, welcome news:

Giancarlo Stanton landed a ball in the center-field, upper-deck seats at Marlins Park during batting practice Wednesday, leaving his disbelieving teammates shaking their heads. The Marlins’ 22-year-old slugger will be putting his power on display for an entire country to see on July 9 when he takes part in the Home Run Derby in Kansas City.

Stanton confirmed that he was chosen to participate.

“We’re in there,” he said as he trotted off the field following batting practice.

I predict many fountain shots at Kauffman Stadium.

Report: Hanley Ramirez “eyed” in federal and state investigation

Getty Images
1 Comment

Former Red Sox first baseman Hanley Ramirez is reportedly being “eyed” in an ongoing federal and state investigation, per Michele McPhee of ABC News. McPhee did not elaborate on the exact nature of the investigation itself, but provided a few more details during an interview with 98.5 The Sports Hub on Friday:

“Obviously, I know absolutely nothing about sports or Hanley Ramirez’s stats, but what I do know is crime,” McPhee said. “And there has been some reports about a FaceTime phone call that was made between a man during a car stop. After that car stop, police recovered a significant amount of drugs. And during that car stop, the suspect claimed that one of the items found in the vehicle belonged to Hanley Ramirez and then FaceTimed [Ramirez] in front of police. And that car stop coordinated with the timing of his release from the Red Sox.”

McPhee further clarified that she thinks the suspect — who was reportedly transporting 435 grams of fentanyl and a “large amount” of crack cocaine — was tied to “a sweeping federal case involving a substantial ring that’s being operated out of Lawrence, Massachusetts.”

Ramirez, the Red Sox, and Major League Baseball have all denied knowledge of any current investigation. According to the Boston Globe’s Alex Speier, Red Sox VP of media relations Kevin Gregg insisted that Ramirez had been dropped from the team for baseball reasons alone and had not been made aware of an investigation at the time of his release.

“Hanley has no knowledge of any of the allegations contained in this media report and he is not aware of any investigation,” the infielder’s agent, Adam Katz, added Friday.

The 34-year-old Ramirez was designated for assignment on May 25 and became a free agent on June 1. Prior to his release, he batted .254/.313/.395 over 195 plate appearances, 302 shy of the 497-PA threshold he would have needed to cross in order to activate his vesting option for 2019. He’s still owed the remainder of his $22 million salary for 2018.