Woman hit by ball sues Little Leaguer for $500,000

76 Comments

Two years and more than $150,000 in medical costs later, a New Jersey woman is suing a Little Leaguer who threw a ball and struck her in the face.

Elizabeth Lloyd was sitting at a picnic table near a fenced-in bullpen when she was hit with the ball. Catcher Matthew Migliaccio, 11 years old at the time, made the throw while warming up a pitcher.

Here’s the AP account:

The lawsuit filed April 24 alleges Migliaccio’s errant throw was intentional and reckless, “assaulted and battered” Lloyd and caused “severe, painful and permanent” injuries.

A second count alleges Migliaccio’s actions were negligent and careless through “engaging in inappropriate physical and/or sporting activity” near Lloyd. She continues to suffer pain and anguish, incur medical expenses and has been unable to carry out her usual duties and activities, the lawsuit says.

And Lloyd’s husband, in a third count, is suing for the loss of “services, society and consortium” of his wife. They’ve demanded a jury trial.

In all, the Lloyd family is seeking $500,000 in damages.

According to the lawyer for the Migliaccio family, Anthony Pagano, the count alleging negligence and carelessness is covered by homeowner’s insurance but the other counts are not. Little League has denied any coverage.

Migliaccio’s father denied that the overthrown ball was intentional.

“It’s absurd to expect every 11-year-old to throw the ball on target,” Migliaccio said. “Everyone knows you’ve got to watch out. You assume some risk when you go out to a field. That’s just part of being at a game.”

No courtdate has been set for the suit.

Royals acquire Brian Goodwin from Nationals

Brian Goodwin
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Royals have acquired outfielder Brian Goodwin from the Nationals, the teams announced Sunday. The Nationals received minor league right-handed reliever Jacob Condra-Bogan in the deal.

Goodwin, 27, was working through his third campaign with the Nationals in 2018. He saw limited playing time in the outfield (mostly due to the trifecta of talent the club already had in Bryce Harper, Adam Eaton, and Juan Soto), and finished the first half of the season with a .200/.321/.354 batting line, three home runs, three stolen bases and a .674 OPS in just 79 plate appearances. The Royals, who appear thin on compelling center field options at the moment, are expected to utilize him on a more frequent basis once he’s added to the active roster.

The 23-year-old Condra-Bogan has yet to break into the majors with any team so far. He got his start in pro ball in 2017 with the independent Washington WildThings of the Frontier League and issued three runs, three walks and 15 strikeouts over 15 1/3 innings before signing on with the Royals as a free agent. This season, he pitched to an impressive 2.08 ERA, 0.7 BB/9 and 13.5 SO/9 through 26 innings in Single-A Lexington before getting transferred to High-A Wilmington for a single appearance. The Nationals have not announced where he’ll be assigned for the remainder of 2018.